Tuesday, July 24, 2007

on not letting commissions be a bane of existence ...

I don't take commissions anymore. It's for the best. There's not enough time in the day for me to take care of children, home, pets, commissioned jobs and still do what I'd like to do. A friend of mine is a total machine behind her sewing machine; she sews as we chat on the phone, keeps an organized home and active family, takes on commissions and sews projects of her own to sell. Wow! I'd give hubby's left nut for that energy! (Hell, he might even let me have it removed - just that one anyway - so more would get done around the house!)

When commissions were part of how my little doll-design business went it seemed that the same thing was being commissioned over and over and dreading that same project repeated stalled everything else that was in my mind to do. And goodness forbid you quote four weeks to complete an outfit and in that time make another just to sell in an online auction! "
Where is my oufit? I paid already it should be in hand now!" Nevermind that I asked not to be paid until project was complete and two+ weeks are left in the allotted time. (Only had that happen once, not fun, and not someone another commission was accepted from.)

Maybe that fear of condemnation is what holds me back when I've taken on a commission ... combined with the boredom of doing the same thing over again ... or maybe not letting people tell me what to do is my only outlet for rebellion as a married, stay-at-home Mom. In which case, hubby may want to hold on to that left nut!

No comments: