Saturday, June 23, 2007

Improv sewing ...

Well, I bulloxed up a baby dress I was converting into a doll dress as a tutorial for the KTD blog - ugh. Have another I'm working on, but still, it's disappointing when there's an idea, and the reality flops.

At least I was able to salvage the layered ruffled skirt of the baby dress. It made a nice doll skirt with matching ribbon folded over for the waistband. Am putting together a coordinating blouse of pink lace. That's something I love working with, re-embroidered net lace. I try to buy it in widths of 3+ inches, as trim, not the allover lace material in yardage, but as trim with one edge finished and one edge straight.

I don't work with patterns for a lot of doll clothes. For laces blouses and full skirts especially I'll skip pattern use and have the doll right there for fittings as I go. Seems to work best. Now, lets see if I can modify one of the other baby dresses I have on hand for that tutorial ...

edited to add on 7/8/07:
Well, I did it! Added sleeves even. Went from this:


to this:


another view:


The trick is finding the smallest baby sundress you can; newborn or 3 months size. And spagetti straps don't work, dresses with sleeves *might*, but depends upon the sleeve style.

Not exactly "fabric whore" related, unless you count that I look for these little dresses based on their fabric. This one in particular I enjoy because it's a lawn-weight cotton with a variety of fun prints on it for a great peasant effect. I used embroidered cotton lawn for the sleeves ... I think I may take the cuffs up a touch and add a bit of lace to them ...

No comments: